Monday, June 3, 2013

Wrestling Match Part 1


Before we get started, I have a disclaimer.  The thoughts that roll around in my head are really just that.  A wrestling match in my brain so to speak.  I may be completely whacked in how I resolve these matches for myself.  And if you find that to be the case, maybe they will simply entertain you!  Maybe.  And just in case you decide to stick with me, I have broken this up into Part 1 and Part 2.

One of the things I have been mulling over a lot lately is Old Testament punishment compared with New Testament grace.  If you know me at all, you probably realize that a particular thought very rarely remains ONE thought.  Ready?

If God is God (and I have no doubt that He is) then He is all-knowing.  That all-knowingness has to include foreknowledge.  Before He even created us, He knew we humans would blow it again and again, necessitating sacrifices that we were to offer to show our acknowledgement of our sin, bringing us forgiveness.

In the Old Testament God told us, through Moses, what sacrifices were necessary as penance for which sins.  He even gave us a way out of what we deserved when we didn't know we sinned! Leviticus 4:1-2 says Then the LORD said to Moses, 2 "Give the Israelites the following instructions for dealing with those who sin unintentionally by doing anything forbidden by the LORD's commands"Simply because He wants to be in relationship with us.  I think.

And the New Testament teaches us that we are forgiven by God's grace.  Ephesians 2:8 says For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God

Grace.  Salvation.  The gift of God.

God loves ALL people and wants none to perish (Old and New Testament people and beyond).  2 Peter 3:9 says so...not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance

Talking Old Testament again...what about those who weren't under the leadership of the priests who offered the sacrifices on behalf of the people for their sins?

This is where my thinking gets super convoluted and I want desperately to unravel it all.  Bear with me.

What about all the people in the Old Testament who were enemies of the Israelites?  The people that God either Himself destroyed or commanded the Israelites to destroy?  Aren't those people a part of the ANYONE that He doesn’t want to perish?

I have heard it said that the Old Testament shows us how we aren’t able to keep His commands; sort of laying out the criteria for having relationship with Him, getting into Heaven and that it points to our need of a Savior, who paid the penalty for our sins.   And I get that.

But....is it just me, or does this happen to anyone else's brains?  What about the people in pre-Savior eras?  B.C.  And especially those who weren't Israelites?

I tend to believe that the Jewish people of the Old Testament times, being God’s chosen people, sort of have a “pass”.  I realize this is way too simplistic but that’s as good as my finite brain can do regarding the hugeness of the concepts of God.  This might be a good time to remember that God's brain is infinite.  There is very likely zero chance I will ever be able to figure out as much as I want. And really, if I could, why would I need to have faith?  But I digress...

No comments: